Messy Maths with Juliet Robertson
Lead Facilitator: Juliet Robertson
Location: Mill Woods, near Laughton, East Sussex, BN8 6BP
Cost: £120. If you are attending the Literacy Day also, the fee is £220 for the two days.
Time: 09.00 - 15.30
Get real, get messy, get maths, get outside. Come and spend a wonderful day in the woods, with Juliet Robertson, the author of the multi-award winning book, Messy Maths. Together you will explore the five “R’s” of Messy Maths:
- Rights – every child is mathematical and has the right to have learn about and explore maths.
- Routines – embedding key maths concepts into your daily routines.
- Resources – open-ended, low cost materials which can be used in lots of different ways with different ages and abilities of children.
- Responsibilities of the adults – how to follow children’s lead and articulate the learning which happens through a play-based approach. It also includes ways of involving families in developing a child’s love of maths.
- Re-imagining your outdoor space – developing maths-rich provision in any outdoor space be this a concrete jungle, woodland paradise or something else.
This content is based upon the book, Messy Maths: A Playful and Outdoor Approach for the Early Years. It is particularly suitable for those who work with children aged 3-6 yrs old. It takes a sensible approach that provides lots of practical ways to ensure your maths provision is engaging and interesting outside and meets the needs of the children with whom you work. This all takes place within the context of sustainability using the environment, natural materials and what is around us in any outdoor space.
This course is suitable for those who work with children in EYFS or are hoping to do so.
The courses are backed up by oodles of resources on a password protected blog post and the many blog posts that are readily accessible on the Creative STAR website.
This course takes place entirely outdoors, with a mix of practical, information and reflective sessions, so please come with lots of warm, waterproof clothing and footwear.
About Juliet Robertson:
Juliet is one of Scotland’s leading education consultants who specialises in outdoor learning and play. She works at a national level delivering training, giving keynote speeches, leading and supporting innovative outdoor projects and writing content for websites, documents and case studies. She is passionate about enabling schools, play organisations and early years settings to provide quality outdoor learning and play opportunities for children and young people. Find out more.